Diocese of Owensboro Catholic Committee on Scouting
We are a committee of adults involved in Boy Scouts of America and Girl Scouts who promote an integration of Scouting with the Catholic Faith. We do this through promotion of Religious Emblems and retreats and communications. Each year we celebrate a mass with Bishop Medley and confer the Religious Emblems earned by Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts and adult awards for those adults who have shown outstanding leadership in Scouting and the Catholic Church. We meet monthly and have a planning retreat once per year.
Faith in Scouting Day
This year we are offering a program on Faith in Scouting for the regular meetings of your pack or troop. We will be happy to come to your pack or troop meeting and offer 30-45 minutes of crafts, prayer, and Scripture integrating Christian faith with the values of Scouting. This is available to Packs and Troops and Girl Scouts. To schedule a time, please email Fr. Ken.
Youth Religious Emblems
Religious emblems can be earned at all levels for youth, both Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts. They are conferred by Bishop Medley at our Religious Emblems Mass at St. Stephen Cathedral March 24, 2019, at 2:00 PM with a reception following.
After completing the requirements for religious emblems, contact Ken Keller and send the application(s) to Ken Keller at 1422 Kent Place, Owensboro, KY 42301. The deadline for applications is January 7, 2019.
This is also the deadline for requesting a Board of Review for Ad Altare Dei and Pope Pius emblems. The Boards will be scheduled for each candidate with a confirmed time and location similar to the Eagle Board of Review. The primary date for Boards of Review is January 26, 2019 and the back-up date is February 2, 2019. Finally, all adult award applications and Pope St. Paul VI Unit Award applications are due by January 7. If you have any questions please contact us at [email protected].
Religious Emblems for Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts:
Cub Scouts: Light of Christ for ages 6-7 and Parvuli Dei for ages 8-10
Boy Scouts: Ad Altare Dei for any youth registered in a troop or crew and Pope Pius XII for a youth registered in a troop or crew 15 years or older and Light is Life for Eastern Catholics.
These emblems are offered through the National Catholic Committee on Scouting (NCCS). See the NCCS website for descriptions.
Religious emblems for Girl Scouts and others:
K-1 God is Love
2-3 Family of God
4-5 I Live My Faith
6-8 Mary, the First Disciple
9-10 Spirit Alive
These religious emblems are offered through the National Federation of Catholic Youth Ministers (NFCYM). See the NFCYM website for descriptions.
Owensboro Catholic Committee on Scouting Meetings
The meetings listed below will take place at 6:00 PM at Catfish Dock Restaurant, 2003 W Everly Brothers Blvd, Powderly, KY 42367 unless it is noted as a conference call.
- December – No meeting
- January 16th Conference Call
- February 20th Conference Call
- March, 24th Meeting will be after Awards Mass
- April 24th Conference Call
- May 15th Conference Call
- Chairs of Diocese of Owensboro Catholic Committee on Scouting
- History of the Diocese of Owensboro Catholic Committee on Scouting
- List of known BSA Catholic Adult Award Recipients in the Diocese of Owensboro
- Recommendation for the Bronze Pelican Award
- National Catholic Committee on Scouting
- NCCS Religious Emblems for Youth
- NCCS Adult Recognition Emblems
- For a catalog of resources for religious emblems especially for Girl Scouts and Campfire Girls see the link here for the National Federation of Catholic Youth Ministers or the NFCYM.
- USCCB on Scouting
- Scout Unit Information and Application for the National Catholic Quality Unit Award – Pope Paul VI